It is difficult to predict how much or what type of long-term care you might need. Several things increase your risk of needing long-term care.
- Age – The risk generally increases as you get older.
- Gender – Women are at higher risk than men, primarily because they often live longer.
- Marital status – Single people are more likely than married people to need care from a paid provider.
- Lifestyle – Poor diet and exercise habits can increase your risk.
- Health & family history – These factors also affect risk.